History of the Food Bank

Second Harvest Food Bank of the Mahoning Valley began in the early 1980s when a group of lay and religious community leaders realized that while people were going hungry, companies were throwing away unused but still nutritious edible food. An effort was started to get these companies to donate food to one central location in order to ease distribution to the many local charities already engaged in the fight against hunger. The Food Assistance Warehouse was incorporated as a 501(c)3 charitable organization in December of 1982 and began operating as a clearinghouse for large quantities of food.

In 1994, the Food Bank became a certified member of Feeding America, the nation's largest domestic hunger-relief organization.

As a member of Feeding America, we are the designated recipient of national food donors and retailers, including Target, Aldi, and Walmart. Additionally, the Food Bank works to procure food donations from local companies like Giant Eagle and Sparkle Markets, as well as through food drives and campaigns like Harvest for Hunger.

In 2016, the Food Bank distributed a record 10.5 million pounds of food, including over 3 million pounds of fresh fruits and vegetables. Currently, member agencies handle nearly 15,000 requests for food assistance per week.

IF YOU are in need of food dial 211 or call in
Columbiana & Mahoning Counties: (330) 747-2696; Trumbull County: (330) 393-1565

The Food Bank's mission is to solicit, store, and distribute food to hunger-relief organizations in Columbiana, Mahoning, and Trumbull counties; and to provide education and advocacy. We believe that no one should go hungry, and we are dedicated to building a community that makes food accessible to all people.

So no one goes hungry.

Feeding America logo link Ohio Associations of Foodbanks logo link United Way logo link Better Business Bureau logo link

 

Together we can end hunger. DONATE NOW >
Toggle Bar
Back to top